What You Need to Know About Getting a Real Estate License in Maryland:
- Complete an approved 60 hour Principles & Practices of Real Estate Course. The Southern Maryland Association of REALTORS® offers 2 classes per year (see other tab) or you may check out the list of approved education providers on the Maryland Real Estate Commission's website.
- Within 1 (one) year of the Principles & Practices of Real Estate Course completion date, complete two exams through PSI Exams (a testing agency) - one focusing on national real estate laws and the other on state real estate laws.
- Within 1 (one) year of the PSI exam completion date, a candidate must affiliate with a real estate brokerage.
Real estate remains one of the best career opportunities available. The potential earnings in relation to the startup costs is hard to beat, yet those considering a career in real estate must not underestimate the challenges they will face in getting started. A significant learning curve and the need for a high degree of self-motivation are just two of the many hurdles new agents face. New agents should expect a significant period of spending before seeing any serious income - this means there may be more overhead costs associated with real estate than many realize. If you do not have a real estate partner or spouse to help support you, you may need to have money saved.
For example, most agents are self-employed and are responsible for their expenses. A challenge comes from not receiving any income from your real estate business until your first settlement. Until then, you have your basic business start-up fees - yes your real estate career is YOUR business. While commission checks are exciting, you must remember what expenses you had or will have such as:
- Marketing materials such as business cards, yard signs, etc
- Gas and car maintenance
- MLS (multiple listing service to list and search for properties)
- Education - 60 hours is just the beginning
- Membership with a REALTOR® Association. While this is voluntary, membership provides many benefits.
There have been many articles written to those thinking about a career in real estate. Here are just a few:
What should you do in your first year? Here are some things to consider:
Principles & Practices of Real Estate Course Information
Please contact the Education Director at 301-274-4406 ext 122 with any questions.
A Winter and Summer Session will be held in 2020 beginning on February 4th and July 7th respectively. Please see the course catalog for the complete schedule.
All applicants must complete the enrollment agreement and receive a course catalog from the Southern Maryland Association of REALTORS® Real Estate Academy. Click here to download the Course Catalog and here to download the 2020 Winter Enrollment Agreement. If you would prefer to have the Course Catalog and Enrollment Agreement emailed or mailed to you, please send a request to the Education Director via email.
Register ONLINE (all major credit cards accepted). You may choose the course and books together ($275.00) or if you already have the books, a no books option ($205.00). Please note your registration is not considered complete, even after reserving and paying online, until you have received a copy of the Course Catalog and Enrollment Agreement is returned to the Education Director via email. Your online order/reservation is not considered complete unless you have the Course Catalog and Enrollment Agreement is returned to the Education Director.
Note: Students may not enroll in a class that has already begun. Entire sessions must be completed in order to graduate from the program. See the Course Catalog for graduation requirements.
SMAR’s Real Estate Academy is pleased to announce that through one of its partner schools, The CE Shop, the 60-Hour Maryland Principles and Practices of Real Estate for Salespersons Course is available as an online interactive course that teaches you everything you need to obtain your Maryland real estate license!
Cost varies by package, click here for more information to explore your options!
Questions & support are handled by The CE Shop at 888.827.0777 or support@TheCeShop.com 7 days a week!